Monday, February 20, 2006

"He did not design me – He loves me"

Article on an official denunciation of "anti-evolution" legislation

"A leading Catholic scientist, George Coyne, director of the Vatican Observatory, took the opportunity to attack creationism. “The ID movement belittles God, making him seem too small and paltry,” he said. “God is not an engineer who designed the universe. He did not design me – He loves me.”"

WOW, this is quite a reversal. Now God is small if he doesn't use evolution to create the universe. So what can this statement actually mean?? I'm very intrigued by the last part actually: "He did not design me - He loves me." The only way this statement makes any sense at all is if the word "god" in this instance has been emptied of all meaning. God is really just like your best friend down the street. He didn't make you, He doesn't sustain all things--no, God just loves you. (awwww...now all problems go away right??? This sounds so pious and heart warming, but alas, simply denying that God made you doesn't then make it so.)

I'm sorry, but there is no reason for me to respect or care about a god like this. These people would be more honest if they just stripped away talk of god altogether and simply stated they wanted to worship themselves. The desire to be your own god is not a new one--these things are simply excuses to make people feel less guilty about doing just that.

Prov 21:2 "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the hearts." (NKJV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home