Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Calvin funny??

You know, I usually don’t find Calvin’s writing that humorous, but I was rereading some of his Institutes regarding infant baptism the other night. In refuting the idea that baptism is only for believing adults, Calvin says:
But I will make their fallacies palpable even to the blind, by a very plain similitude. Should any one insist that infants are to be deprived of food, on the pretence that the apostle permits none to eat but those who labour, (2 Thess. 3: 10,) would he not deserve to be scouted by all?

This example is just so far fetched it is funny to me. Who would even consider not feeding their baby because Paul said that all who don’t work are not supposed to eat? I guess sometimes the conditions are different for infants and adults--perhaps they are for baptism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home